Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Our first week "home."

Our first week home has been a whirlwind to say the least. It went by SO fast. We got home from the hospital on Saturday evening to introduce the boys to Leila. They were so excited to meet her (despite Luke's face) and excited for their presents from their grandparents and Leila!

"Wait, I am the middle child now?"

We were sent home on the premise that we would have blood work done on Leila on Sunday morning to make sure her bilirubin levels have gone down. Well, after being sent to the closest hospital, finding out their lab was not open on Sunday's, then going back to the hospital she was born at, we got her blood drawn. They pricked her three times to get the vile from her heel that they needed. We got a call Sunday evening saying her levels had risen and we needed to go back into the hospital to do phototherapy. It was DEVASTATING. I had to go all by myself because Berto had to watch the boys. I quickly showered, repacked a hospital bag for her and I, and headed to yet a different hospital with a very special pediatric ICU. We got there around 7:30 p.m. and started phototherapy at 9:00 p.m. 

This night was so, so, so hard. I could barely sleep. I had to pump and nurse her and she was so uncomfortable in the little nursery basket they have them in. The bili blanket under her was not comfortable either. I was barely able to hold her, only to feed her and then she had to go right back into the basket. I went to bed around 3 a.m. and woke up at 6 a.m…. I was exhausted. Berto finally got to the hospital at 9:00 a.m and brought a much needed coffee. They checked her level around 10:00 a.m. and it had gone down to around 12 so they took her off of the light therapy. We had to wait 6 more hours to recheck to make sure there wasn't a rebound. At 4:00 p.m her levels were at 13.3, which wasn't bad. So we were finally going home!! We literally packed so fast and got out of there so quickly before they changed their mind. 

She continued to have to have blood work daily through Friday (with the exception of Thursday). I was so terrified her bloodwork would come back high again, and it did. It was not high enough to send her back to the hospital, but high-risk none the less. We had to wait through the weekend and finally had our appointment yesterday and got the clear to stop testing! I am so so relieved! 

Here are some photos from her first week home…

We go back to the doctor Friday for her two week check up! Hopefully she is back to her birth weight by then. Her tongue was clipped on Thursday so she is able to nurse much better! 

We had three neighbors bring over dinner this week, my parents make a dinner and bring a dinner, and some wine from my brother and his wife… we are so thankful for everyone who has helped us and brought meals! 

Oh, also… something I am SO excited about! My neighbor is a professional photographer (Taylor Meyer Photography) and she took some pictures of Leila and the boys and they are SO SO SO beautiful! I highly recommend you all checking out her page! Here are the previews:

Have a good week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment